Computer desks can be found in offices but also in normal households. They are also very common in the gaming scene. Computer desks differ from normal desks because they often have features like a keyboard drawer, cable outlets or an electric height adjustability to make work as comfortable as possible.
With our computer desk review, we want to help you find the perfect computer desk. By comparing different types of computer desks with a list of pros and cons, we want to give you as much information as possible. In addition, our recommendation should also make the purchase decision easier for you.
- Computer desks offer you the possibility to work concentrated and powerful, whether in the office or from home. These tables are also suitable for hobby gamers or professional gamers.
- There are different types and shapes of computer desks. You can distinguish them by different criteria like the dimensions or features like height adjustability.
- If you work from home a lot, you should consider buying an electrically height-adjustable computer desk, since you can then also work while standing and thus relieve your back.
Best Computer Desks
JOISCOPE Home Office Computer Desk
- STURDY STRUCTURE：Constructed by premium steel and…
- EASY ASSEMBLY：Our installation can be done by a single…
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL DESIGN：Our table has a multi-purpose…
- BROAD APPLICABILITY FOR ROOM：We have adopted an industrial…
- 100% SATISFACTION：JOISCOPE is confident in the quality of…
Cubiker Computer Desk 32 inch Home Office Writing Study Desk
- Meet more needs：Storage bag is added based on the basic…
- Use the diagonal brace to reinforce the frame, also equipped…
- Multiple-choice：32/40/47/55/63 inch available for…
- Installation Guide：Except for the manual, you can also…
- Materials：Melamine-faced board, Steel, Non-woven fabric
Tribesigns Computer Desk, 55 inch Large Office Desk
- [MODERN SIMPLE DESK COMPUTER TABLE OFFICE DESKS ]- with…
- [WIDEN DESKTOP & SPACIOUS LEG ROOM ]- 23.6″ wide, provide…
- [SUPER STURDY ] – desktop made of 0.59″ thicker laminated…
- [Easy TO ASSEMBLE ] – Double color desk, all tools and…
- [LARGE SIZE ] – 55″(L) x 23.6″(W) x 29.2″(H) / 44 lbs weight…
FURINNO Econ Multipurpose Home Office Computer Writing Desk
- Simple stylish design yet Functional and suitable for any…
- Material: manufactured from CARB compliant composite wood,…
- Fits in your space, fits on your budget.
- Features slide-out keyboard drawer, CPU storage and a…
- Some assembly required. Please see instruction. Product…
Mr IRONSTONE L-Shaped Desk 50.8" Computer Corner Desk
- Nearly full L Shaped Desk with Optional Space Saving Monitor…
- Durable & Sturdy Construction: The L shaped desk is…
- Large Desktop & Ample Space:（50.8″+50.8″)L*18.2″D double…
- Fast Installation & Easy Cleaning: To make assembling this…
- What You Get: An L-shaped computer desk, a monitor stand,…
Cubiker Modern L-Shaped Desk Computer Corner Desk
- Modern Design Style: Cubiker L Shaped desk unifies rigid…
- Durable and Sturdy: The sturdy frame can support all your…
- Monitor Stand: removable monitor stand could be installed on…
- Ample Space: Overall dimensions are 51.2″ x 51.2″ x 29.5″,…
- What You Get: An L-shaped desk, a monitor stand, and a happy…
Casaottima L Shaped Gaming Desk, 51" Home Office Desk
- Spacious Work Space: Overall dimensions are 51″(L) x 51″(L)…
- Sturdy Frame: The sturdy frame and desktop can support all…
- Strong Desktop: The desktop is waterproof,…
- Monitor Shelf: The removable shelf can be installed either…
- Customer Service: We provide 3-year warranty and our…
CubiCubi Study Computer Desk 32" Home Office Writing Small Desk
- Modern Simple Desk: CubiCubi computer desk delivers a…
- Sturdy Design: Metal frame, double iron strut design and…
- Easy to Assemble: Finish the assembly within 10 minutes…
- Size: 32″(L) * 19.7″(W) * 29″(H) offer you a large space to…
- Applicable Room and Function: Computer Writing…
How To Pick The Best Computer Desks
It is not always easy to find the right computer desk for you, but there are criteria that you can use as a guide and thus compare the products.
Below we have listed them for you:
- Keyboard drawer
- Height adjustability
The following subchapters deal with each criterion and we explain what you have to consider.
Computer desks are available in a wide range of sizes, which is why buyers often do not know which desk is the most suitable. What width and height a table should have in order to work effectively and long, can not be said quite clearly.
However, in offices most often found tables with dimensions 160 x 80 cm. Tables with a width of 160 cm can also be used as a guideline when a computer table is needed for home use.
Considerably smaller should not be the desktop of the table, at least as far as the office is concerned, because next to the screens there are also documents, keyboards and table lamps.
For the computer table at home, however, a width of 120 cm is also sufficient, since this workplace often includes only one screen and there are also fewer documents.
Smaller computer tables often have additional casters and serve as a mobile workstation, which can be quickly moved from study to living room. In offices, these tables are also used as storage areas or small storage tables.
When deciding how wide and high the computer desk should be, you should consider how much time you want to spend at your workstation and what dimensions you need to be able to work effectively.
First of all, it can be said that there are computer desks made mainly of four different materials:
While plastic is very durable, easy to maintain and robust, the surface does not really look appealing.
Often, consumers decide on purely visual points when choosing a material for their table.
Wood is the most common material, as it is easy to work with. Usually, these tables are more expensive, so veneered boards are often used to save costs and reduce the purchase price.
However, with computer tables made of wood, you should always make sure that you have a good worktop protection, otherwise the table will quickly become dirty.
Metal is most often found in the table legs, but rarely in the tabletop. A combination of glass and metal is also very popular, as both materials look very classy and chic and are also easy to clean.
Computer desks can be purchased with or without a keyboard drawer. The advantage here is that space on the tabletop is saved and documents etc. can still lie on the work surface.
In addition, the keyboard can simply disappear into the depth of the table when it is no longer needed.
Another advantage is that with keyboard extension, even computer desks with a smaller width make a good workstation, as the keyboard already takes up a lot of space. In addition, the slightly obtuse angle of the keyboard drawer also helps relieve stress on the arms.
We recommend you try this feature in a furniture store and see how you get along with it. Some people swear by it and others find it more convenient to have the keyboard directly on the countertop.
Computer desks with electric height adjustability are becoming more and more popular, not only in everyday office life. After a long day in front of the computer, neck or back pain often occurs. As more and more companies offer home offices, this problem is also becoming more prevalent for working from home.
Tables that can electrically change their height also make it possible to work standing up and thus bring a change for the body, since sitting for long periods of time is more strenuous for our intervertebral discs and the muscles in our back than we think.
The solution is to work standing up from time to time, not only in the office, but also at home.
You can relieve the strain on your back by standing. Alternating between standing and sitting also brings an increase in concentration, increased performance and relief for the spine. A standing phase of 20 minutes can already increase your productivity.
So if you want to do something good for your body and also work effectively, you should think about this option. Starting at US$450, you’ll have this feature included with your computer desk, not a small amount of money, but considering the medical expenses it saves, it’s worth considering.
Frequently Asked Questions: Computer Desks
The following chapters deal with the answers to frequently asked questions. If you still have unanswered questions, read the next lines carefully, because a large part of them will certainly be answered.
Who should get a computer desk?
Computer desks are suitable for everyday office use on the one hand, but on the other hand also for people who have to work at home a lot. As home office becomes more popular, more households are getting computer desks to work effectively.
Computer desks offer organization and different features, such as keyboard pull-out or electric height adjustability, can significantly increase performance.
Computer desks are also becoming more common in the gaming scene. Whether professional gamer or hobby player, a good stand, plenty of space and electric height adjustability are essential to be able to play concentrated.
Especially for gamers, it can happen that a real cable chaos arises due to the technology it needs.
What are the types of computer desks?
Computer desks can come in all types and shapes. However, the three most common variants are the classic rectangular desk, the corner table and finally the space-saving cabinet option.
In the following table, we will show you the advantages and disadvantages of each variant, so that the decision will be easier for you later:
- Classic Desk
- fits almost any room, inexpensive
- corners of the top minimize working space, furniture must be moved around
- Corner Table
- fits into corners, saves space, more work surface
- less space for person, more costly
- Cabinet option
- combination of cabinet and table, can be folded up
- small work surface, little legroom
A computer table in the classic rectangular variant, may consist only of a worktop, but may also have additional features, such as a keyboard drawer or drawers in which to store documents.
This type of computer desk comes in countless sizes, so no wish is left unfulfilled.
The advantage is that it can be placed almost anywhere in a room due to its straight and rectangular shape, and besides, it is also usually relatively cheap, depending on the size and features of course.
However, one disadvantage is that the corners of the table cannot be used as a work surface and often the furniture in a room has to be moved to create enough space for the computer table.
The corner table variant is very similar to the rectangle, except that it additionally goes around the corner. The big advantage is that the computer desk can be placed in a corner, saving a lot of space.
In addition, the actual workplace is much larger and more space can be used.Disadvantages, however, are that some space is taken from the person sitting at the table and the table is more costly.
One of the space-saving variants is definitely the computer cabinet table. This variant is a combination of a cabinet and a small desk, which can be easily folded if it is not needed.
However, a big disadvantage is that the work surface is small and also leaves little legroom for the person working.
You should consider how much time you will eventually spend at your workstation before buying a computer desk. Do you need a lot of space, legroom, storage space or is little space enough and you prefer a space-saving variant.
What are the alternatives to a computer desk?
If you don’t work from home every day or you’re not a gaming fan, you can of course also fall back on alternatives.
In the following, we will briefly present and describe the alternatives in a table:
If you have enough space in your kitchen, you can also use a part of your kitchen countertop as a workplace. All your documents and folders can be stored on a mobile roll container and pushed away when you are not working.
Laptop tables are great if you only work with a laptop and don’t need a desk at all. Lapdesks Lapdesks are cushions on which a small tabletop is attached, creating what is probably the world’s smallest desk.
Lapdesks are cushions on which a small tabletop is attached, creating what is probably the world’s smallest desk.
One of the most modern alternatives is the standing desk, which allows you to work while standing and relieves your back.
With these alternatives, you should always consider how often you work from home. If you are completely busy in the home office, you should invest in a computer desk that is also height adjustable, for health reasons.
If you work mainly in the office and only need your laptop or PC at home from time to time, the kitchen top, lapdesk and the like will also suffice.
Conclusion: Computer Desks
Computer desks come in different types and are used not only in the office, but also by many people at home. Due to the large selection, it is not always easy to find the right table for you. You should always consider how much time you want to spend at your computer desk and depending on that you can buy a bigger or smaller one.
If you still can’t find your perfect computer desk on the internet, there is also the option of building a desk yourself. This option can often be cheaper and is also a lot of fun! When cleaning your wooden table, you should be careful in any case.
Last product update on 2021-06-18 | Source: Amazon Affiliate