Welcome to our large hamster cage test. Here we present all hamster cages that we have tested in more detail. We have put together extensive background information and added a summary of customer reviews online.
We want to make your purchase decision easier and help you find the best hamster cage for you.
You can also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. Furthermore, you will also find some important information on this page that you should pay attention to if you want to buy a hamster cage.
The essentials in an overview
- Hamsters are loners. Therefore, do not try to keep them with fellow species or any other rodent.
- For many, these cute animals have surprisingly high demands in terms of available space and employment opportunities.
- Hamsters sometimes vary greatly in size per species. Therefore, include the size of your animal in the purchase decision.
1. Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi-level play…
- Hamster Home includes free accessories to get you started….
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster…
- Hamster Home is modular in design & includes connector…
- MidWest quality guarantee hamster cage includes a 1 year…
2. Prevue Universal Hamster Cage
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Tight 3/8” wire spacing. Large tubby base offers room for…
- Extra deep 6 1/4” tubby base
- 2 large entry doors – one on top and one on the side
- 32 ½’’ L x 19’’ W x 17 ½’’ H with 3/8’’…
3. Prevue SP2005BL Hamster Cage
- Provide your pet with a safe, active and colorful haven
- Satisfies your small animal’s natural instincts to explore…
- Tri-level cage features two access points
- Includes platform, slide ramp, hideaway dome and exercise…
- Measures 14″ Long, 10 1/2″ Wide and 16″ High
4. Habitrail OVO Dwarf Hamster Cage
- Modular habitat utilizes the smaller tubing of habitrail…
- Provides endless hours of entertainment for your small…
- Easy-to-clean, easy-to-assemble habitat solution for your…
- Includes everything you need to get your pet’s home started
- Fully expandable and ready to grow – limited only by your…
5. Prevue Hendryx Deluxe Hamster
- A spacious and complete home for your hamster or gerbil
- Included platforms and houses provide place for your pet to…
- Exercise wheel to maintain necessary activity levels
- Snap-off base cleans quickly and easily
- 22 1/2-Inch long, 12-inch wide, 12 1/2-inch high with…
6. Favola Hamster Cage
- Hamster Cage Includes 2 Spacious Floors; First floor is a…
- Fully equipped & modular designed hamster cage; Favola…
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage: Top panel features an access…
- Large Living Space: Hamster cage measures 23.6 length x 14.4…
- Quality Guarantee: Favola hamster cage includes a 1 year…
7. Living World Deluxe Habitat Hamster Cage
- Habitat that provides everything you need for safely housing…
- Small animal cage is designed with an upper wire frame and a…
- Includes a balcony with access ramp and small animal…
- Animal cage assembles in minutes using 4 easy to use plastic…
- Dimensions: 30.7 L x 18.9 W x 19.7 H inches
8. Ware Manufacturing Chew Proof Hamster Cage
- Converts any 10 gallon aquarium to a small pet high rise!
- Made of durable powder coated chew proof wire
- Includes mesh ramps and shelves that are safe for your pet
- 3-Floor design allows enough space for your pet to roam
- Roof top door allows easy access for cleaning
9. Kaytee My First Home 30 X 18 Multilevel Hamster Cage
- Ideal habitat for chinchillas, rats and exotic pets
- Multiple levels to climb and play
- Deep base to prevent messes
- Easy assembly for cleaning
- Chew proof locks and wires for added safety
10. Mcage 3 Level Sparkle Clear Hamster Cage
- 【8-Inch Deep Sparkle Transparent Clear Base】 (Easy See…
- 【Large size: L24″ x W16″ x 23″H】; 3 Level solid clear…
- 【2 Front Wire Opening Door】 For Easy Transport of your…
- 【Bar space: Tight 3/8-Inch】 For Baby to Adult Size Small…
- For Guinea Pig, Hamster, Habitat Rodent Gerbil, Rat, Mice or…
Frequently Asked Questions: Hamster Cage
How big must a hamster cage be?
First of all, hamsters are loners and you won’t do them any favors if you put a second animal (of any breed) in the cage. Due to this, as well as the fact that hamsters are known to be very small animals, the cage will not take up too much space and you do not have to go to great lengths to find a suitable place to set it up.
Unfortunately, many of the cages on the market are simply too small to keep a hamster properly – the exercise of its natural needs, such as walking and climbing, must be fulfilled.
The well-known plastic cages in bright colors with all sorts of plastic toys and for less than $50 in any small pet shop are not nearly suitable to meet the requirements for species-appropriate accommodation.
Therefore, the base area of your cage should not be less than 50cm² as an absolute minimum. You also have to put a lot of value on the height, because hamsters not only like to dig around in litter, but also like to climb – a minimum height of 60cm is a requirement.
Nevertheless, more is always better and you achieve a significant increase in the quality of life and accordingly the joie de vivre of your animal. Unfortunately, the absolute exception is that you can find a cage of this size in stores.
Also note the size of your hamster. For example, teddy hamsters are larger than golden hamsters and therefore require a little more space in the cage. Although it can be said in general that no hamster would “reject a little more space in the cage”.
With cages, you also have to make sure that the grid spacing is not too large so that your rodent cannot get out or get stuck. A maximum distance of 1.2 cm is recommended (however, less is never harmful).
However, if you choose a terrarium or aquarium, you don’t have to worry about it.
What equipment does the hamster cage need?
The equipment of the cage is particularly important for the well-being of your animal. You will probably be spoiled for choice as hamsters have by far the largest range of hide-outs and accessories out of all rodents.
Food and water bowl
Each hamster cage needs a food and a water bowl. If possible, these should not be made of plastic, but of a more stable and heavy material, such as stone or clay.
This ensures that your hamster cannot knock the bowl over and possibly injure itself.
However, if your animal uses the water bowl for a different purpose (as a bath or maybe even a toilet) or you simply prefer it to the bowl, you can also attach a simple plastic bottle to the grille or with a little more inventive art within a glass cage.
As already mentioned, there is a large and varied selection in almost every small animal requirement. From classic wooden houses to cork caves and hay nests to knight’s castles, towers, tunnels and entire wooden palaces – you have the choice.
Many products not only offer the opportunity to relax and sleep, but also act as an activity, with hanging bridges and ladders for climbing around.
Another place of retreat, which your hamster will probably clearly prefer over the one you have painstakingly chosen, is the bedding. Since the cute animals are passionate diggers, there must always be enough bedding in the cage so that they can meet their nature.
A minimum of 10cm is recommended, your hamster will add significantly more to you. Rodents like to spend the day in the small, excavated caves, before roaming the rest of the cage at night.
Toys & Accessories
As soon as you only enter “hamster accessories” in any online trade, you will be immediately overwhelmed by the sheer mass of offers.
Levels that are connected to each other at different heights via ramps, bridges, tunnels are absolutely essential for every hamster cage. Since the rodents have a passion for digging as well as a passion for climbing, you have to offer them appropriate devices.
Then you can move to your heart’s content and there is no boredom – an important factor for species-appropriate husbandry.
A sand bath with a radius of at least 20cm is always very popular – here your animal can not only play, but also take care of hygiene without the boredom.
A few classics that every hamster appreciates are tube or cave systems. These are mostly made of plastic and colorful, but there are also some of higher quality made of wood and especially cork. Whatever you choose, your animal will thank you for the purchase.
Just like the non-plus ultra among the hamster accessories – the wheel. In this your energetic four-legged friend can run as much as he wants, which can be very annoying, especially at night due to the noise level, if someone tries to sleep in the same room. Nevertheless, this product is an integral part of any hamster cage and should definitely be provided to your animal.
Where is the best place to put the cage in the apartment?
It is important to note that hamsters are nocturnal.. It is therefore advisable not to put the cage in a bedroom.
Also, there shouldn’t be too much hustle and bustle around the hamster during the day, as it usually sleeps and accordingly prefers a quiet environment. A living room or the kitchen are therefore of limited use; then more like a storage room or the hobby room – if your hobbies are not too noisy.
In addition, you have to make sure that your animal is not directly in the drafts or in the sun, as otherwise there may be health consequences. Your hamster would also like to have an overview of what’s going on around you, so it’s best to place the cage securely on a chest of drawers or on a raised side table.
Can I build a hamster cage myself?
The best option for almost every rodent accommodation is self-made – so also for hamsters. In contrast to rabbits, for example, this is also very uncomplicated and mostly inexpensive, since only a few materials have to be used.
You can also determine the size and design and thus build the best possible cage for your animal and yourself.
Interesting hamster facts
- Hamsters are closely related to mice.
- There are around 20 different species, not even half of which are suitable and known as pets.
- Hamsters can only see 15 cm and are also color blind. For that they can smell all the better.
- You can fill your cheek pouch up to twice and in rare cases even three times the volume of your head.
Last product update on 2021-02-26 | Source: Amazon Affiliate