Welcome to our big VoIP telephone test. Here we present you all VoIP telephones that we have tested in more detail. We have put together detailed background information for you.
We want to make the purchase decision easier for you and help you to find the best WiFi phone for you.
You can also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. You will also find some important information on this page that you should pay attention to if you want to buy a VoIP phone.
- VoIP phone is a type of cordless telephone that is based on WLAN radio technology and is not tied to the telephone network. These telephones differ from conventional DECT models.
- WLAN telephony offers a great advantage over classic DECT devices in that it makes the purchase of a telephone network unnecessary. This variant is usually much cheaper for users, as they can benefit from a WLAN connection several times.
- However, it is essential that a WLAN system is well developed so that you can expect good voice quality and a stable connection.
Best VoIP Phones
Grandstream GS-GXP2170 VoIP Phone & Device
- 12 lines, 6 SIP accounts, 5 soft keys and 5-way voice…
- 48 on-screen digitally customizable BLF/speed-dial keys
- 4.3 inch (480×272) color-screen LCD
- Dual Gigabit ports, integrated PoE
- Supports up to four GXP2200EXT Modules for BLF/speed-dial…
The bestseller is characterized by the excellent quality of HD telephony and numerous Internet services (e-mails, radio, feeds, podcasts).
The model has a high-quality color display and an integrated telephone book. Above all, buyers appreciate the impressive voice quality and the speakerphone volume.
Cisco SPA303-G1 3 Line IP Phone
- 3-line business-class IP phone. THIS IS NOT A STANDARD HOME…
- Connects directly to an Internet telephone service provider…
- Dual switched Ethernet ports, speakerphone, caller ID, call…
- Easy installation and highly secure remote provisioning, as…
- Supports both Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Smart…
With this model, you can also benefit from the advantages of Internet telephony and the stable landline line. The device has a high-quality workmanship, large-volume loudspeakers and excellent voice quality.
The high-performance functionality, a great hands-free function and a long-lasting battery delight the numerous buyers.
VTech CS6719-2 2-Handset
This VoIP phone is very easy and straightforward to set up and has a wide range of connection options. The phone has a particularly slim design and is of high quality.
The keyboard is illuminated, which ensures optimal use even in the dark.
FAQ's: VoIP Phones
How does a VoIP phone work?
With WiFi telephony, calls are not made via the landline connection as with classic telephone models, but via the WiFi network.
The protocol for this type of connection is also different: H.323, SIP or Skype. The WiFi is sufficient for different purposes at home: Internet, television and phone calls.
This option is of course cheaper than having to set up two systems – for Internet and telephony. However, a high data transmission rate is essential to avoid possible interference.
What additional costs do I have to take into account for a VoIP phone?
In addition to the price of a WiFi-enabled device, you should also consider other costs. This also includes so-called operating costs.
This means that you also pay to set up a WiFi access point if you don’t have one. Electricity, Internet costs and the cost of calls must also be taken into account.
What alternatives are there to a VoIP phone?
An alternative to telephony is called “DECT”. DECT telephones are also cordless and use radio technology similar to WiFi. In many aspects, however, DECT telephony is more efficient than WiFi telephony.
Basically, better transmission power in DECT models also leads to better voice quality. The range is higher and the battery life is also significantly longer.
While DECT telephones are seen as the ideal option for daily telecommunications, WiFi telephony is more suitable for shorter calls.
You can also use WiFi calling via your smartphone. To do this, you should make sure that the function is available for your device and for your tariff option.
DECT telephony offers an excellent alternative to WiFi telephony. This option surpasses WiFi in terms of voice quality and range, but it is more expensive.
Types of VoIP Phones
When choosing a WiFi-enabled phone, you basically have two options: either a WiFi phone without DECT or a WiFi phone that is connected to a DECT-based router.
VoIP phones for connection to a DECT router are analogous to IP telephony. Due to the digitization process, many telephone providers have switched to Internet telephony.
The new DECT models are connected to an Internet router that has a DECT base station. Thus, these models offer the advantages of an Internet telephone and a significantly better stability of a landline line.
Below you can find out more about the advantages and disadvantages of each type of WiFi telephone.
VoIP Phones without DECT: Advantages & Disadvantages
If you don’t want to set up a telephone network and instead use your WiFi, VoIP phone is an option for you. WiFi calls are cheaper than calling over a normal telephone network.
This option is also particularly worthwhile if you make a lot of calls abroad, for example. If the person you are talking to uses the same service, there are usually no additional costs.
- good option for international calls
- a network for multiple purposes
- poorer transmission power than with DECT models
- Sound and connection problems
Large companies in particular can benefit from this option by only operating one network.
For private users, however, the transmission rate or speed is decisive, as it has a strong influence on the voice quality and smooth functioning. Otherwise, delays and sound problems may occur.
VoIP Phones: Purchase Criteria
In the following we would like to show you which factors you can use to compare and rate VoIP phones. This will make it easier for you to decide whether a certain WiFi phone is suitable for you or not.
In summary, these are:
- Voice quality
- Power consumption and battery life
The call quality can be unstable with WiFi-enabled telephone devices. The reason for this is a relatively low transmission power and parallel data transmission in the network with other devices. That is why dropouts and delays often occur.
Some VoIP phone manufacturers explain the measures that can significantly improve the voice quality. For example, the Fritz! Box brand suggests these solutions:
- Installation of current software,
- Check the connected repeater
- Restart your devices
- Check the DSL connection for errors
- Reduce the call volume
- Restoring the factory settings and logging in again
It is recommended to look up the solutions for the respective model of a VoIP phone.
The transmission power of a WiFi-enabled telephone achieves up to 100 milliwatts within a range of approx. 10-15 meters indoors.
With DECT devices, the value is twice as high, namely 250 milliwatts in an average range of approx. 30 meters. This means that the range for DECT devices is significantly higher.
VoIP phones, as well as cordless DECT models, offer a long service life. You can use your device for about three to five years. The insensitivity of the device housing to liquids and dust contributes to the service life.
The battery life is also somewhat better than that of smartphones. However, the DECT device is even more durable, as fewer functions are carried out on them. The exchange of batteries is possible in all models.
Power Consumption & Battery Life
The high transmission power even in standby mode has a negative effect on the power consumption of a VoIP phone. For comparison, the classic DECT devices are more energy efficient, as the transmission power can be throttled.
The battery life of the DECT phones is also much longer. The talk times are up to 30 hours, while theVoIP phones achieve twice as little.
Facts about VoIP Phones
How do I connect a phone to a WiFi router?
To connect your device to a wireless router, follow the next steps:
- press the WiFi button on your WiFi router. This establishes the connection between the devices.
- Next, enter the network name and security key (see the bottom of your router).
If there is no WiFi button on your router, you should set up the connection manually.
To do this, enter the URL of your router in the address line of your browser and activate the network in the administration area under “WiFi”.
What is a WiFi Calling?
Since the cellular network does not work smoothly everywhere, the WiFi option on a smartphone offers another option for making calls.
WiFi calls are made via a WiFi connection and are offered by mobile network providers. This function is particularly useful abroad.
Unfortunately, this feature is not available for all devices and tariffs. Only current smartphone models with branded firmware offer WLAN calls.
Only the MagentaMobil tariffs at T-Mobile make it possible to add the function free of charge. The option is not available for prepaid.
With Wifi Calling, calls are billed like normal cell phone calls. You should be more careful with calls in the EU, since roaming costs have been abolished, and more is paid for wifi calling.
How do I increase the range of a telephone with DECT?
Below you will find instructions on how to increase the range of your DECT telephone:
- first you should open the settings under DECT -> base station. Check that the option “Reduce DECT radio power” is not selected.
- DECT radio performance can be reduced by concrete walls and metal objects. The best location for a DECT base station is ideally in the middle of the apartment or house.
- You can check the signal strength using the bars on the display in order to find an optimal location for the DECT base station.
- The DECT repeater can also be used to improve the range.
Last product update on 2022-01-26 | Source: Amazon Affiliate