Welcome to our big VPN router test. Here we present you all the VPN routers that we have tested in more detail. We have put together detailed background information for you.
We want to make the purchase decision easier for you and help you find the best VPN router for you.
You can also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. You will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy a VPN router.
- A VPN router gives a client access to a virtual, private network (VPN).
- VPN routers offer many advantages. For example, VPN routers offer secure surfing on the Internet or in public networks. On the other hand, they protect your privacy and you get an anonymous IP address.
- Unfortunately, installing some VPN routers is often complicated or requires additional software.
Best Micro USB CablesXX
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible…
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet…
- 3 external antennas for long range Wi-Fi
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to…
- Integrated USB port acts as a media server, easily share…
TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN VPN Router
- 1 Gigabit WAN port, 1 Gigabit LAN Port, and 3 Gigabit…
- Supports IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP VPN protocols,…
- DoS defense and IP/MAC/Domain name filtering protect your…
- Professional 4KV lightning protection keeps your investment…
- Note: Please kindly refer to the manual when setting up
GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) Gigabit Travel AC VPN Router
- [OPEN SOURCE & PROGRAMMABLE] OpenWrt/LEDE pre-installed,…
- [VPN CLIENT & SERVER] OpenVPN and WireGuard pre-installed,…
- [LARGER STORAGE & EXTENSIBILITY] 128MB RAM, 16MB NOR Flash…
- [PACKAGE CONTENTS] GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) router with 1-year…
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 Smart WiFi Router
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for…
- Wi-Fi 6 Router: Wi-Fi 6 (802. 11ax) technology achieves up…
- Next-gen 3 Gaps speeds: 4-Stream Dual Band router reaches…
- Connect more devices than ever before: simultaneously…
- Minimize lag For all devices and applications: experience…
TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router
- JD Power Award —Highest in customer satisfaction for…
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Internet Router: Wi-Fi 6(802. 11ax)…
- Next-Gen 1. 8 Gbps Speeds: Enjoy smoother and more stable…
- Connect more devices: Wi-Fi 6 technology communicates more…
- Extensive Coverage: Achieve the strong, reliable Wi-Fi…
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos,…
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles,…
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual…
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any…
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols….
Linksys WRT3200ACM Dual-Band Open Source Router
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home…
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization;…
- Tri stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to…
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality…
- Dual band Wi-Fi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 600 Mbps) +…
Frequently Asked Questions: VPN Router
Who should use a VPN router?
In principle, VPN routers are suitable for everyone. Because of the advantages they are nowadays popular with both freelancers and private individuals.
Unfortunately, self-employed people can also find their notebook stolen in a hurry. Thanks to the VPN, the data is stored securely in the office and is therefore not deleted.
Nowadays, private individuals also use this service. After all, you want to want to access data on the go, such as music, photos or videos. The data is stored on a computer.
How does a VPN router work?
The abbreviation VPN stands for “Virtual Private Network”. The network is virtual because there is no physical connection and it is private because the network is closed.
With a VPN, an encrypted connection is established between a VPN server and a VPN client. The connection can be established normally in Windows or through certain software.
Did you know that despite the VPN, the ads are personalized?
This is because companies can identify the device or browser. Only your real IP address can no longer be recognized.
You simply use the internet connection to establish an encrypted connection with the VPN server. For a successful VPN connection you only need the access data for the VPN server (including the IP address).
Using VPN, for example, you can easily access local networks or hide your own IP address so that other people cannot find you on the Internet. A VPN router therefore also offers you protection online and makes your data safe from hacker attacks.
This is how a VPN connection works:
- A connection from the VPN client to the VPN server is established using a certain VPN protocol
- In order to ensure secure communication, the VPN server agrees on a key with the VPN client. In addition, the access data is checked by the VPN server.
- This creates a so-called tunnel. A tunnel is an encrypted connection between a VPN server and a VPN client.
- Now the VPN client can conveniently access the local network of the VPN server.
What alternatives are there to a VPN router?
There is, for example, the alternative Open VPN, which is a free software used to create a virtual private network.
It works over a TLS connection and both OpenSSL or mbed TLS can be used for encryption. Open VPN is platform-independent and supports, for example, operating systems such as Linux, Solaris, Windows and macOS.
How do I connect a VPN router?
Even experts are often afraid of the correct installation of a VPN router, as there are a multitude of settings, variants, standards, protocols and providers.
The correct way to connect a VPN router depends on the device and the brand. Some VPN routers require complicated interventions in the operating system or an additional installation of additional software.
Nowadays, many manufacturers are trying more and more to make the configuration as simple and user-friendly as possible. However, it is often not easy as the interfaces often offer many options for settings.
A big risk would be, for example, that the VPN router becomes the biggest enemy.
If some settings are set incorrectly, the VPN router may pose an even higher risk for hackers or data leakage. This cannot happen with the correct installation by specialists.
Types of VPN Router
If you want to get yourself a VPN router, there are different options, depending on whether you want to use this router for private or business purposes. This is more about protocols than different types of routers.
It is often difficult to figure out which VPN is right for you. There are roughly seven types of VPN, all of which have different functions or features.
- PPTP VPN
- Site-to-Site VPN
- L2TP VPN
- SSL and TLS
- MPLS VPN
- Hybrid VPN
In the following we explain to you what exactly the individual protocols are about.
PPTP VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
PPTP VPN means point-to-point tunnel protocol, i.e. the PPTP VPN creates a tunnel and collects the necessary data.
- Ideal for home and business use
- No purchase or installation of additional programs required
- Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux systems
- Insecure encryption
- Bad compatibility with firewalls
- Easily blocked by the network provider
The PPTP is the most commonly used VPN. It is used to connect to the created virtual private network with the internet connection.
In order to establish a correct connection, the participants in the network must enter the password into the VPN.
Site-to-Site VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
A site-to-site (or router to router) VPN router is mainly used for business activities. Many companies have branches at home and abroad.
- Practical for companies
- Encryption and decryption is done exclusively by hardware
To connect the location of the main office to the smaller branches, the site-to-site VPN comes into play. The VPN is also known as an intranet-based VPN. An extranet-based VPN is also possible here.
The site-to-site VPN enables and simplifies secure and private communication within this network.
L2TP VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
L2TP means Layer to Tunnel Protocol, which was developed by Microsoft and Cisco.
- Relatively safe
- Hardly offers encryption
L2TP VPNs use a different VPN security protocol and combine them to ensure a secure VPN connection.
IPsec VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
IPsec stands for Internet Protocol Security and is used for secure communication on the Internet. Each session is checked and data packets are individually encrypted.
- Can also be used with other security protocols for greater security
- Time consuming installation
SSL & TLS VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and TLS stands for Transport Layer Security. These protocols are mainly used by online shops and service providers.
- Web browsers already have SSL and TSL (https instead of http)
- Vulnerable to malware
The web browser serves as a client here. User access is restricted.
MPLS VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
MPLS stands for Multi-Protocol Label Switching and is very useful for site-to-site connections.
- Relatively safe
- Complicated setup of the network
- Changes difficult to make
This VPN is used to speed up the distribution of network packets. It can also be used to connect multiple locations.
Hybrid VPN Router: Advantages & Disadvantages
As the name suggests, a hybrid VPN consists of a combination of several protocols. Here there is a combination of MPLS and Internet protocol security or IPsec-based VPNs.
The VPNs can be used in the same as well as in different locations.
- Better internet connections
- Very flexible
- Very handy for companies
- High costs
In order to connect the networks with one another, a so-called gateway is set up in order to display IPsec tunnels from one side to the other in MPLS VPN.
VPN Routers: Purchase Criteria
In the following we would like to show you which factors you can use to compare and evaluate VPN routers. This will make it easier for you to decide whether a particular VPN router is right for you or not.
In summary, these are:
- Hardware extensions
- IPv6 compatibility
In the following paragraphs we will explain to you what exactly is important for the individual criteria.
Probably the most important criterion for users is the speed of the VPN router.
For one, download speed is a big issue. Here the speed also depends on the computing power as well as the memory equipment.
On the other hand, fast data transmission is also important for users. The Mbit / s LAN connection and the Mbps bandwidth are important.
Another very important criterion is security.
Many people worry about mass surveillance or warnings. Others want to protect themselves from hacker attacks or be able to view censored content on the Internet.
A VPN router also ensures that communications on the Internet can be intercepted. According to this, VPN routers offer 24/7 protection against possible dangers.
Did you know that you can use a VPN to bypass internet blocks in authoritarian countries?
In China, for example, sites such as Google, Instagram or Youtube are blocked and cannot be accessed. This block can easily be bypassed with the VPN router.
A large amount of memory (RAM and flash memory) ensures that other data packets also have enough space.
Many devices are equipped with very good storage facilities and take care of sufficient storage. Some VPN routers can even be expanded with a microSD card.
Hardware extensions refer to interfaces or the pin connectors and the power supply.
In addition, e.g. so that some activities are simplified, such as the measurement of temperature or air pressure and humidity.
Nowadays attempts are made to adapt all devices to IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6). This new protocol is intended to replace the old IPv4.
The introduction of the new Internet Protocol (1998) is intended to simplify the procedure for transmitting data on the Internet.
IPv6 offers a larger number of possible addresses and is therefore more extensive and practical. Unfortunately, a few VPN routers are not compatible with IPv6.
Last product update on 2021-06-18 | Source: Amazon Affiliate